Pages

Thursday, November 21, 2013

Snapshots from Freetown, Sierra Leone

I had the privilege to spend the last week of October, 2013, with Michael Turay and his beautiful family.  Michael is the head pastor of Grace Point Bible Church, in the Regents district of Freetown.  He is also the founder of Aletheia Ministries. I met Michael at a great study on the book of Romans offered in Spokane last January/February.  Michael was one of the teachers.  During a break, I noticed him studying and taking photos of the small church that we met at; asked him about it, shared what I do - and the next thing you know I find myself halfway around the world in Freetown. 


Michael & Georgiana Turay
 
Grace Point Bible Church
 

Michaels wife, children, and mother were wonderful to spend time with - they love our Lord, are sharp, fun, and humble.  They fed me too much, included me in their family for the week.  Michael took me to their church, and to the site where they will build their new church and ministry.  This is a VERY challenging site - to say the least. In addition, I was able to share in in their daily routine of loading up the car beyond capacity (I added to this "beyond" part); dropping of his wife at her work, picking up two or three of the Aletheia Ministry team, dropping off their 13 year old at his school, and then the 4 year old at his school (and sometimes the neighbor boy as well), before heading to the Aletheia Ministry office. Just driving around in Freetown is a faith building experience - I am grateful that Michael did the driving!


Nathan, Donald, & Samone Turay

Grace Point & Aletheia focus on teaching sound doctrine (Christ alone, by grace, through faith alone); on discipling men and women in to know the gospel, and share the gospel with others.  Many of the church leaders are also part of Aletheia - and they spend most every Wednesday evangelizing in the mornings, and teaching small group Bible studies in the afternoons.  They spend much of the rest of the week studying the Word and sharpening each other; often debating in a loving way.


Following are more photos to help capture the week. Please pray that the Lord blesses this ministry in a town where the true gospel is very hard to come by, and also please pray that the Lord helps me find time to complete the drawings for these wonderful ministries.
 

typical urban housing



church members clearing the site of rocks

view of city from highest point in Freetown area
 






No comments:

Post a Comment