Pages

Thursday, May 31, 2012

My Missionary Story Part II


      Part I -  left off on Thursday, October 21, 2010 with an inexplicable restlessness with my job.  Following is what happened next: 
  • Tuesday, October 26th, approximately 7:55 AM (just before our strategic planning meeting was to begin); our company president told me that they wanted to hire the Kennewick City Manager, and in order to fill find a spot for him in the company they would need me to step down as manager (but they still valued me!). 
  • Feeling hurt, but also thinking about that growing restlessness, and my words to our Lord the previous Thursday – I laid this before the Lord that evening; Googled architectural missionary, came across the HIM page, and sent a random e-mail.  Checked out a few other items that evening; and had a very restless night.
  • Not able to sleep, I got up around 3 and went to the Word, picking up where I had left off the day before; I Samuel chapters 1-3. Seeking to hear something from the Lord that will ease my hurt; 3:9 “jumps” from the page, “Speak Lord, for your servant hears.”  Pondering on this a bit, reading a few more chapters, and going to back to bed.
  • E-mail message in the morning from the head of HIM design department; they have been praying for an architect, they need an architect willing to travel (for he is unable to for health reasons), who has an NCARB certificate, and with senior level experience; BUT this person needs to be able to raise their own support (faith support is how I think it is phrased).  I e-mail back, and the conversation begins…
  • May, 2011, Sally and I agree to fly back to Asheville, NC to meet the staff and to go through some orientation.  We leave pretty well convinced that this is the future the Lord has for us (the double rainbow, three songs in a row with strong messages about “trusting the Lord, not what we could see” – but still want about three months to pray and think about this (not wanting to make a decision based on an emotional high).
  • We send our first newsletter out in August, 2011 (hoping to receive full support right away from just sending these out!).
  • A request to help the Portland Rescue Mission, the first chance to actually serve the Lord through HIM on a project (a small enough project to do on the side).
  • A very intense winter; particularly December… my dad’s serious downturn in health; our company’s serious downturn in work; the warning from my boss that my job is in jepordy; and a hint of some actual opportunities to serve the Lord through HIM with architecture.  1:00 AM wake up call (from the Lord) on December 23rd; a plead to hear something from Him as I read where I left off the previous day; pondering how in the world the Lord could speak to me in Numbers?  Numbers 13 jumps out; the story of the spys, the mistake of fearing the giants over trusting the Lord… “Trust the Lord, don’t fear the giants!” really jumped out.
  • Eight days later, a 3:00 AM wake-up call (I’m spending nights with my dad – he needs considerable medical attention at home); Duet 1 – the spy story recapped; that Sunday, a request from a friend at church to know if I’m interested in helping a missionary in Honduras with a school expansion design… don’t fear the giants, trust the Lord… I feel pretty compelled to say yes; minutes before this request, another friend on the missionary committee shares that the church will be throwing some support our way… hmmmm, a lot to reflect on.
  • The next week I’m asked to briefly share about this new missionary venture of ours at church; 3:00 AM the that Sunday morning, woken up again!  Okay Lord, how are you going to speak to me through Deut 9?  The Israelites are about to enter the land – but fear not, God is going before them… TRUST GOD!!!.  About one week later, a request from another missionary agency to help design a safehouse in Kenya… more work request from the Portland Mission, a Honduras visit (such a powerful experience), and continual up and down series of health concerns for my dad through the month of March…
That is pretty much the story up to this point.  For some reason, the Lord hasn’t provided hardly any opportunity for me to ask people for financial support (not something I want to do anyhow); mostly due to my dad’s health and secondarily due to increased ministry work all coupled with a full time job, a candy  & gift store (mostly my wife’s time); and yet some pretty clear messages to trust Him, move toward where he is pointing, don’t fear the giants.  So that is what, with God’s help, I am doing.  I am a bit surprised to still have my job, but am grateful for this financial support.  The candy store came about as a way for my wife to contribute to our support – though this is more of a long term thing (will not provide much support for a few years until we pay off the previous owners).  Curiously, a bit hectically, but eagerly moving forward…

No comments:

Post a Comment