Pages

Friday, October 21, 2011

Portland Rescue Mission


Earlier this week I had a great conversation with Tom Lister, Director of Vocational Ministry at the Portland Rescue Mission. The Director at this mission is Eric Baur, who I got to know well when we both lived in Walla Walla. We both moved to WW about the same time (97) and both ended up moving away around the same time (I think we might have left one year earlier that Eric and his family). Eric was the Executive Director at the Christian Aid Center. We first met when he strolled into our little start up branch architectural office, to see if we could check out a structural issue for a potential remodel they had in mind. Over the course of my 8 years in WW, I helped Eric a few times, maybe a handful, with some architectural or engineering input, sketches, etc... Eric is now the Executive Director at the Portland Mission, and when I shared with him about our new journey towards becoming an architectural missionary with HIM, he put me in touch with Tom.

Long story short, my dad and I plan on visiting Tom on November 4th to discuss some small projects that they might need some architectural support with. As you know, I'm not able to dedicate too much time to these sorts of things, but can at least get some work started and transfer back to our architectural staff at HIM headquarters.

I'm so excited that there are some opportunities to help, even if just a little bit, using my architectural background. The Lord knew I was second guessing the sense of calling that I thought he gave me, and Tom's e-mail inquiry was timed perfectly. I will share more about the few projects we might be involved with after our meeting.

In the meantime, check out the following youtube video put out by the Mission, it is very touching. www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysMyc_SWeCc . Check out their website as well; portlandrescuemission.org

in His grip,

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment