Pages

Thursday, October 27, 2011

My Architect Dad

My architectural career really began with my architect dad. I've been with my dad yesterday and today as he has some medical tests at the U of W medical center in Seattle (which have gone well), causing me to reflect some on the past.

Dad received his degree at Ohio State and graduated the year I was born. Like many men of his generation, he was able to attend college with the help of the GI Bill, having served in WW II.

As a young boy, maybe age 5, I decided I wanted to be an architect like my dad when I grew up, not unlike many a boy, I suspect. When we moved to South Bend, my dad worked for an architecture firm that only designed churches. Dad's job required him traveling around the midwest to check out various churches under construction. He would take one of his kids on as many of these trips as was pragmatic with his schedule, and our school schedules. I suppose it was during some of these early trips that my architectural path began to be solidified. Dad and I would talk about buildings, and mostly houses we would see along the way. Based on these type conversations, I drew up my 1st set of "dream" house plans on Holiday Inn memo paper while on one of these trips, while in the 4th grade.

Dad helped me in some 7th grade drafting class house plan projects. In my early high school years, our family had a series of difficult challenges - but one way dad and I would cope with these was to go on walks together and walk through various houses that were in early construction, figuring out the layouts when most would not be able to.

Eventually, I received my first architectural degree from Ohio State (like dad). Now, nearly 30 years of a career later, dad has begun to join me on my occasional travels to check out construction projects with my present job; sort of a role swap from when I was a boy. Next Friday, dad will join me when we visit the Portland Rescue Mission to see what design needs they might need help with. It seems only fitting that this transition into missionary architecture would include the company of my dad, who is the man God used to lead me down this career path to begin with. I have been very blessed to have such a special relationship with my dad.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing with us. It is indeed a blessing that you have this special relationship with your dad in life and work. I liked how you wrote about walking through construction sites of houses during that difficult time, I could almost visualise it in my mind. I'm a young christian architect in Australia and I've just come across your blog, I plan to keep coming back to learn more of your path as I too contemplate possibilities to serve God as an architect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the encouraging words Hollly - they mean a lot. I don't get on my own blog often enough. I was in Africa (Sierra Leone) when you posted your comment. I did not have good internet connectivity while there, and while in Tanzania during the first 9 days of November - so just discovered your post when I was waiting my flight home while in the Seattle airport. Thanks again, and I hope that God blesses your career and life.

    ReplyDelete